Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Verma What????

Vermaculture
 a.k.a.
Vermacomposting
 a.k.a.
Using worms to break down food then using their castings (manure, poop, crap, SH#*) to fertilize your garden.

............................................................................................................................................


Since my dreams of becoming a chicken farmer have been crushed, I have decided to go in a new direction and become a worm farmer.

Yep, you heard me right.  I just ordered the Worm Factory 360, 1000 Red Wigglers, and 250 Super Reds and I am about to get my Vermaculture on.

DSC_4598
Natural Born Diggers.


So here's my game plan.  Instead of breaking child labor laws, and having Michael dig for worms, I am going to take the Super Reds and some of the Red Wigglers that I ordered and spread them around the garden.  The Red Wigglers stay close to the surface, so they are a good way to organically fertilize your garden and the Super Reds go deep to help aerate the beds.
DSC_4596

 I am then going to start throwing kitchen scraps in the Worm Factory 360 and let the worms work their magic.


 I will take the "black gold" and spread it around the garden.

DSC_4549

I am pretty sure I can excel in worm farming. 
I mean the website basically said it's so easy a child can do it. 

Anywho...

 I was also thinking about ordering a worm farm, but then I figured I would be taking it too far and would become known as the Worm Lady. 
 People would point and stare... "Look! There's The Worm Lady! She has like a million worms in her garage!" 
Children would start dangling worms in my face and teasing me.
I would get nothing but worm paraphernalia for birthdays and holidays....

You get the point. No worm farm for me.

4 comments:

Heidi Bruch said...

Say, what?! Omg, you were meant to be a mama of boys. You are my hero. Hayds would be so excited to come visit your new garden friends.

Sarah said...

Ha! She can come anytime! I am pretty sure Michael is going to have a mini heart attack when the worms arrive:)

Liz said...

I think it's too late. I'm already thinking up wormy nicknames for you...the worm whisperer etc. etc.

NickandKatieAdams said...

I know we've only recently become friends but I think I can accurately say, with fondness, "only you..."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...